THE "TRE CIME DI LAVAREDO" HIKE: ITINERARY AND TIPS
Tour of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo: the itinerary
There are many mountaineering routes, of all grades, that have been created over the years to give everyone the opportunity to enjoy the landscape surrounding the Tre Cime di Lavaredo. Undoubtedly the most famous trek in the Tre Cime Natural Park, which is also the best way to admire the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, is the ring-route, which runs at the foot of the three famous mountains, passing through meadows and scree with no difficult gradients.
- Difficulty: E
- Duration: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- High difference: 400m (131ft)
- Length: 9,5 km (5.9mi)
- Signposts: CAI 101, 105, Alta via delle Dolomiti no.4
Auronzo mountain hut: the starting point
The route starts at the Auronzo mountain hut, which can be reached by car via a toll road (the cost for cars is €30, while for motorbikes it is €20). Alternatively, for those who wish to be more sustainable, there are shuttle buses available, departing from Auronzo (Dolomitibus) and Dobbiaco (Sutirolmobil).
The Auronzo mountain hut is located near the Forcella Longères at 2333m (7654 ft) and enjoys a wonderful panorama: Tre Cime di Lavaredo, the Crosa dei Toni, the Cadini di Misurina Group, Monte Cristallo, Lago di Misurina and the Val d'Ansièi. In addition to the Tre Cime tour, the De Luca-Innerkofler via ferrata on Monte Paterno also starts from here.
The Lavaredo mountain hut and the Lavaredo forcella
From the Auronzo hut, continue along path no. 101, along a level stretch on a wide dirt road and with a view of the Vallon di Lavaredo. After 15 minutes you will reach the little church dedicated to Maria Ausiliatrice, and the stele dedicated to Paul Grohmann, the first climber to ascend the Cima Grande in 1869. Not far from there, you reach the Lavaredo mountain hut (2344m, 7690 ft), built in 1954 by the mountain guide Francesco Corte Calò 'Mazzetta'. This hut is an excellent approach point for most of the ascents to the summits.
From here you will continue to the Forcella Lavaredo (2454m, 8051 ft), which you can reach in about 45 minutes. Once you reach the top, the spectacle of the Tre Cime opens up like a curtain, and a little further on you can see the Locatelli mountain hut (2405m, 7890 ft) in the distance.
Locatelli mountain hut
Set in the Forcella di Toblin at 2438m (7998 ft), at the foot of the magnificent Sasso di Sesto, the Locatelli hut offers its guests a marvellous view: the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Croda dei Ronsoni, Monte Mattina, Teston Rudo, Sasso di Sesto, Croda Passaporo and Monte Paterno surround the hut. If you wish, from the Locatelli hut you can climb a little higher, towards the Toblin Tower, via the Ferrata delle Scalette.
Return to the Auronzo hut
From the Locatelli hut, follow path no. 105, which descends along the northern walls of the peaks to Pian da Rin, where there are some very beautiful alpine lakes. Continue uphill to Col Forcellina, then after the scree, to Forcella Col di Mezzo, where the view opens out over the Dolomites of Sesto and Ampezzo, such as Cadini di Misurina, Sorapiss and Monte Cristallo.
From this last fork, there is a final uphill stretch, finally arriving at the car park.
Useful information on mountain hut
Below is some useful information on the huts we have mentioned; you will find telephone numbers, the months they are open, and some indications for those who would like to spend the night in a hut.
Auronzo mountain hut
- Opening times: last Saturday in May - mid-October
- Telephone: +39 0435 39002
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Beds: 98
- Emegency places on planks: 16
- Makeshift shelter: 4
Lavaredo mountain hut
- Opening times: mid June - last weekend in September
- Telephone: +39 349 6028675
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beds: 24, provided with sheets and duvets
- Emergency places on planks: 0
- Makeshift shelter: not available
Antonio Locatelli mountain hut
- Opening times: last Saturday in June - last Sunday in September
- Telephone: +39 329 6690335
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Beds: 140 (we recommend you book any overnight stays ahead of time)
- Emergency places on planks: not available
- Makeshift shelter: 6
What to bring: Garmont's advice
The Tre Cime Nature Park is particularly busy during the summer months, so our advice is to plan to go on the hike at the beginning of the summer or in September, perhaps on a weekday, in order to avoid a rush of tourists along the way.
Although the level of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo loop hike is considered easy, it is important to remember that we are in an alpine environment, and as such must be respected.
Below is a list of things to have with you during a trekking to the Tre Cime di Lavaredo:
- Waterproof jacket. During the summer it is not uncommon to encounter sudden thunderstorms, especially in the Dolomites. Even if the weather conditions look good, it is always a good idea to have a waterproof jacket with you to wear when needed.
- Suitable footwear. Using trainers or shoes with smooth soles in the Dolomites can be very dangerous. It is therefore essential to wear footwear with a structured sole such as approach shoes or hiking boots.
- Water. You should never be without water on a hike, especially in summer and on the Dolomite paths, which are often long and have no water sources.
- Sunscreen. Essential to avoid burns, especially in the high mountains where there is practically no vegetation.
- First aid kit. Having the necessary items with you to treat cuts, abrasions or wounds can save your life or that of others, you can read more in our article "First aid kit for trekking and hiking: our tips".
- GPS device. Although the paths in the Dolomites are well marked, it is always a good idea to carry a GPS device with you so that you do not get lost, especially if you are walking along less-trodden paths.
- Camera. To immortalise the majesty and beauty of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo.
The circular hike to the Tre Cime is also suitable for our four-legged friends, as it is not too demanding and exposed. We invite you to read our blog article "Hiking with a dog: our tips for being prepared" to be ready and prepared for the adventure together.
TOWER 2.0 GTX®€320,00
The ideal boot for high altitude hikes and via ferrata routes
in the Dolomites.
The extended lacing all the way to the toe gives greater
ascent and allows a customised fit.